Today, between 1030 & 1315, Tom Moran and I birded the north end of the East
Pond at JBWR. We saw neither the # of species, nor the the # of individuals
that Andrew Baksh saw, but we did see our target birds, plus a specie which he
didn't mention.
There was a fair # of birds to check from the pond's north entrance to s/o the
North Island (because of time constraints, we wound up only walking as far as
the 1st "phrag corner" that allowed us to see The Raunt. We found "Rufous Ruff"
as advertised, s/o the N.I., on the e/s of the pond. S/o Mud Cove on the w/s,
we had 4 Stilt Sandpipers feeding, alongside 7 Short-billed Dowitchers, for
good body size, bill size/shape and feeding style comparisons. We were also
treated to 3 Gull-billed Terns (2 in flight/feeding, the other resting &
preening on the N.I. All 3 of these species were firsts for Tom !
We also saw many of the other shorebird species which Andrew reported, as well
as some of the commoner gulls, terns, wading birds, and land birds, including 2
singing Marsh Wrens.
On my way home from Shoreham, after being dropped off by Tom, I had 2 Turkey
Vultures working on a carcass in the 1st field e/o the Lewin Farm Store, on the
s/s of Sound Ave, in Wading River. Another surprise awaited me on Roanoke Ave,
s/o the Tuccio Buffalo Farm in Riverhead, when a cock Ring-necked Pheasant
crossed the road ! At that point (with only about 5 minutes to go) the thought
did occur to me to take a much longer way home !
Cheers,Bob