I have been a bit lax about posting my sightings lately, but haven't spotted
any real rarities so figured it wasn't too time-sensitive.
I wanted to mention the incredible movement of thrushes I noticed over the
weekend: I led an NYC Audubon walk to the NY Botanical Garden on Saturday
(concurrent with Debbie's walk) and we had at least a dozen, maybe as many as
20 Swainson's Thrushes, they seemed to be in or under every shrub.  I also saw
about 5 Veerys and heard numerous Wood Thrushes singing.  I don't ever recall
seeing so many Swainson's, they must've flown in the night before.  I also had
one singing at Wave Hill the following day (this past Sunday), which is unusual
during migration, especially at 11 AM.
There was also a big oriole movement, with Baltimore Orioles all over the place
at NYBG on Saturday and at Wave Hill on Sunday, and a male Orchard Oriole
spotted at Wave Hill too.
Many birds seemed to be reveling in the sunny weather over the weekend (as was
I): we witnessed the entertaining and odd behavior of birds sun-bathing.  A
male Yellow-rumped Warbler was sprawled out lengthwise along a twig, with his
neck extended so his chin and bill lay along the branch, and his wings were
spread on either side of it.  Later we saw a Swainson's Thrush on the ground in
a patch of sun, feathers fluffed and wings spread in a similar fashion.  It
could have been anting, but I suspect it was simply enjoying the warmth.
Other sightings of note recently have included a lingering Swamp Sparrow and a
Lincoln's Sparrow yesterday in Bryant Park, along with huge numbers of newly
arrived Common Yellowthroats (at least 20, mostly in the treetops, which was
strange for this species) numerous Ovenbirds, Redstarts, a Northern Waterthrush
(unusual for Bryant Park), and a singing male Blackpoll Warbler.
In Central Park yesterday evening my group had several Magnolia Warblers, many
Northern Parulas, a singing male Chestnut-sided Warbler, and a White-eyed
Vireo, among other species.
I have another tour in Central Park tonight, but don't have high hopes given
the rain.
Good birding,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon