Also worth mentioning the Purple Finch flight. It might have been the most
I've seen in a day, although certainly not on the grand scale of Siskins.
Lots of adult males. And while I won't swear to it, I believe a female Red
Crossbill was a fly by at the Fort Tilden platform. Overall, it was a varied
and entertaining flight of passerines, including Blue Jays, Eastern Bluebird
(3), White-breasted Nuthatch, and Baltimore Oriole, along with the more
expected Robins, Tree Swallows, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-rumped Warblers,
Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Goldfinches. Like the reports
from points east, there were few nocturnal migrants on the ground -- a stark
contrast to huge fallout on my last Fort Tilden trip, last Saturday.

Not a bad hawk flight either, considering the wind was WNW at best most of
the time. Probably near 150 of the 7 expected coastal species and 2 Turkey
Vultures (not so unusual anymore on Long Island, but still amusing to see at
a hawk watch here).

The most amusing happening of the day was a Red-breasted Nuthatch landing on
Joe Smulktis' head. He's tall -- might have been mistaken for a tree.

For anyone that hasn't had enough of Wood Sandpiper pictures, I'm now
featuring one at my web site http://www.stevewalternature.com/ .

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY