What is a far worse thing happening on Broad Channel Island are the 200 - 300 fuel oil tanks that are turned over, missing and leaking all over town because of Sandy. We have already seen some oiled birds. Add to that many propane tanks that were also carried away by the storm. I have to think that this happened wherever Sandy's surge hit an area. Though NYC sanitation is doing an amazing job I have yet to see the NYC Department of Environmental Protection in the area. There is no electricity in the town and cell phone reception is nil so residents are having a hard time calling to get help turning tanks back over or retrieving them once they are found. A pretty dismal situation.
Terry Clarke
Broad Channel