Apologies for this belated report.

Yesterday afternoon (11/18), while searching the central Suffolk ponds for migrant waterfowl, I came across 3 Eurasian Wigeons on Mill Pond in Sayville. Two were adult males, both near full breeding plumage.

The third individual was quite interesting and very distinct. Overall, it resembled a female Eurasian, It possessed a darker, warmer brown head in comparison with nearby Americans and gray underwing coverts/auxillaries were noted a few times. It clearly lacked any black gape line. However, newly molted-in gray scaps could point toward a 1st cycle male.

No other rare waterfowl were noted during checks of the other large lakes nearby. Numbers were quite impressive on nearby Patchogue Lake though. I tallied 208 Am. Coot, 273 Ring-necked Ducks, and 870 Ruddy Ducks. Three Redheads were also noted at this location.

Good birding,
   Michael McBrien
   East Patchogue