NYSbirders,
Melissa Roach and I heard and saw the Virginia's Warbler at Alley Pond Park
(Queens) this morning for about 15 minutes at around 8:30. We followed it
between the "kettle" and the edge of the nutmeg meadow at Alley Pond Park
in Queens. These sightings came just after David Krauss alerted us that
he'd seen the bird pop up in front of him in the kettle (thanks for your
help, David!). We were able to follow and relocate the warbler by listening
for its chip call; even more interestingly, Melissa heard the bird SING
about five times (unfortunately, I missed hearing this as I was searching
elsewhere)! We also had 1 White-winged and 2 Red Crossbills fly over while
we searched the park for the warbler.
I'll add some photos to flickr.com/bonxie88 later on.
Good birding, and thanks for the many helpful updates. This was a rather
tricky bird to track down.
Tom

--
Tom Johnson