Yesterday, in the AM, I tried for the Pacific Loon in E.Moriches for the 6th
time, without success. I then routed myself through the Calverton Grasslands,
on the way home - I was aware of the use of it's runways as a holding area for
motor vehicles damaged during "Sandy", and wanted to see it for myself. This
stop had a nice start, as I picked up a Merlin and an E.Bluebird along the
south fence-line. However, once on the site's crossing road near the 2
runway's, I had a rude awakening...despite knowing what to expect. The short
(5000 yards) runway (from the c/ road s/w to Grumman Blvd/Swan Lake Blvd) was
completely full with cars/trucks. The long (!0,000 yards) runway (from the
c/road s/e to River Rd.) is now being used as such, starting from it's east
terminus. A security guard I spoke with said he was told there were ~ 40,000
vehicles on the property at this time - a real eyesore, which, hopefully, won't
turn into an environmental disaster.
Cheers,Bob