I observed the PACIFIC LOON for a little over an hour starting at 11:15 from
the end of Moriches Island Road. I had hoped for closer looks at the bird
than I got last Wednesday and perhaps some photos. Unfortunately the loon
was only marginally closer and the light was not great (haze/mist/drizzle).
A few (2-3) Common Loons and a Red-throated Loon were also present.

Afterward I visited Smith Point County Park where the main highlight was
a flock of ~100 crossbills moving back and forth in the vicinity of the
RV campground. It alighted only briefly a few times in the Japanese Black
Pines. The one time it stayed put long enough for me to approach it,
all the birds I saw well were WHITE-WINGED. The flight calls I heard
sounded Like only that species as well. Also seen were 49 Boat-tailed
Grackles and 2 Horned Larks.