Jones Beach West End; Pt. Lookout. 5 December

Joe Giunta's 200 Challenge Club looked for early winter birds along the South
Shore of LI.    Starting at Jones Beach, we looked into the inlet and birded
the exposed bar at the marina. The number of shorebirds increased as high tide
approached, so we returned before leaving. At that point, there were some 4-500
birds consisting mainly of Dunlin and Black-bellied Plover  American
Oystercatchers continue along with a few Red Knot.  A flock of Sanderling
joined.  There were Common and Red-throated Loons, Long-tailed Duck,
Red-breasted Mergansers, a Black Scoter and a single BONAPARTE'S GULL in the
water. A GREAT CORMORANT was perched on a marker sign in the water behind the
Coast Guard Station.

In the medium, we encountered a group of BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES with
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. A  group of predominantly red plumaged, male RED
CROSSBILLS perched in the top of a bare deciduous tree.   SNOW BUNTINGS were on
West End #2 parking lot and HORNED LARKS  flew over as we made our way to the
ocean where we picked up a peregrine falcon and a number of distant adult
NORTHERN GANNETS.

At Pt. Lookout, the town parking lot is open, but large sand piles impede
access to the beach. There we saw COMMON EIDER, SURF SCOTER, LONG-TAILED DUCK
and HORNED GREBE. No harlequin today.

Sy Schiff for the group