I too have never seen a (North American) Great Cormorant with this much white,
but it makes sense that that's what is was.  We call it "Great Cormorant", the
British call is "Cormorant", but it's the same species, phalacrocorax carbo.
One or two of the European races definitely do show this much white as
immatures, even adults.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY