A free morning in the City so wandered over to the Park.  Spent an hour or
so checking gulls at the reservoir (albeit just with bins) but couldn't
find an Iceland Gull.  Good numbers of waterfowl on the reservoir though
including a Common Loon and 6 Wood Ducks.

After a long search I did manage to find a BARRED OWL.  It took a while
because the bird wasn't 'where it was supposed to be' but by checking all
the White Pines around the Great Lawn I eventually picked it up.  It just
took a little time.

I did have a single male WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL in the Sweetgum near the
feeders in the Ramble but couldn't find a Redpoll or a Siskin.  There was a
EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH in the American Goldfinch flock however, feeding high in
the trees and looking quite comfortable and wild.  I think this bird has
been around for a while but I expected this (presumably) escaped cage-bird
to be milling around the feeders looking quite tame so was a little
surprised at how well it seems to have adapted to it's new life as a free
bird.

Finally, on the 'you just never know' front a non-birding friend asked me
what kind of owl she was seeing outside her apartment in Williamsburg,
Brooklyn.  Skeptical (as many birders would be) I asked her to try to get a
photo.  She did in fact get pictures last night and they clearly show a
NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL hunting in the trees along her street.  Score one for
the non-birders....