The New York State Young Birders Club held their fourth annual Kickoff Meeting at Ward Pound Ridge in Westchester County. Many thanks to Paul Lewis and Monica Smith for helping to coordinate our meeting today. For additional information about the club, please visit www.nysyoungbirders.org .

At approximately 7:45 this morning, as we were driving into the reservation, I found an immature Northern Shrike on the south side of Reservation Road, just west of the Trailside Museum. The shrike was very cooperative, offering great views to most of those present; it was a life bird for many of the young birders here today. Eventually, it flew off to the west and disappeared. We were unable to relocate it during a brief search around noon, but there is quite a large amount of favorable territory that this bird may cover.

Later in the day, during our lunch break, a large kettle of 43 Black Vultures and 2 Turkey Vultures was observed over the ridge to the north of Reservation Road. Another Black Vulture was seen around the same time circling over the museum.

Other highlights at Ward Pound Ridge included 2 Common Ravens, several Eastern Bluebirds, and a single flyby Common Grackle.

Photos of some of today's highlights can be seen at : https://picasaweb.google.com/117391989476777248424/NewYorkBirds2013 #

Good birding,
     Michael McBrien
     Vice President