12 baited camera traps are operating this winter in New York as part of Todd Katzner's Appalachian Eagles project. At a site in Madison County an unusual dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk was photographed on 19 January by Kevin Pace. Tom Carrolan provides a link to a good photos of this interesting bird at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37410965@N05/8414174419/in/photostream/

Good numbers of both Golden and Bald Eagle are being observed at sites in Delaware and Otsego counties this winter. One of the Otsego County sites recently recorded a Red-shouldered Hawk - a rarity in winter in the colder regions of New York and the first for this project in our state.

The project has been active in New York since 2010. More information on the project can be found at www.appalachianeagles.org, including photographs from many of the sites. Anyone interested in participating in this project in the future should contact me off the list.

Note: We do not disclose the locations of sites to keep them from being disturbed.

Tom Salo
New York State Coordinator
Appalachian Eagles Project

--