I was at Gilgo in the mid afternoon for a couple of hours yesterday. There were
three other birders and a photographer nearby as well. On a distant NW platform
appeared a bird that could have been the Gyr, or was it a Peregrine? Even with
high end scopes, at 60x,  it was impossible to positively resolve the bird. If
you decide to make the trip to see this bird, I would recommend a bright day
with good light, unless you're lucky enough to have it fly by. Yesterday was
overcast and even with our fancy pants scopes, we were unable to get a positive
ID.
Good luck if you go!
Jack Rothman
www.cityislandbirds.com