Having somehow managed to fail at all my previous attempts to find Purple
Sandpipers this winter (twice around Montauk and once each at Point Lookout and
Jones Beach west end), I gave it one last go after consulting eBird data which
showed that the most recent sightings had been along the ocean in Long Beach. I
tried Point Lookout again first, but the 3 jetties there held no Purples. Other
shorebird species present included American Oystercatcher (24, several small
flocks flying into Jones inlet and 3 displaying on the beach), Sanderling (3),
and Dunlin (75). Sixteen Bonaparte's Gulls were feeding in the surf, and 2
"Ipswich" Savannah Sparrows were along the trail that runs parallel to the
inlet up to Firemen's Park.

So it was on to Long Beach, where I parked at the end of Grand Boulevard. After
climbing the newly built up mound of sand to access the beach, I walked west to
the jetty at the end of New York Avenue, then reversed course and checked the
10 jetties east to Long Beach Boulevard. On those 11 jetties I found a total of
21 Purple Sandpipers, with the breakdown of birds per jetty (moving west to
east) being 0,0,3,1,4,0,2,4,5,2,0. Also present on one jetty were 3 Ruddy
Turnstones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/sets/72157632448263840/