First, the WIRELESS DEVICES.  Most birders use a baby monitor for this, with
a transmitter outside and a receiver inside the home.  The receiver and the
transmitter of the one that we have, which recently broke, had to be plugged
into electrical outlets.  The big advantage of these wireless devices is
that you can carry your receiver to whatever room you will be spending time
in and just plug it in.  The transmitter can also be moved but needs to be
near an electrical outlet, unless you have a unit that uses batteries.  Most
people have had positive experiences with these units although wind and
background noise, like traffic, can be annoying.  Higher frequency calls,
such as those of Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creeper, Blackburnian Warbler
do not transmit very well.  Also, perhaps depending on the specific unit, it
may change the pitch or distort the call slightly so that you may not
recognize it right away.  But overall, they do a good job of reproducing the
louder species - Robin, Carolina Wren, Titmouse, Blue Jay, etc.  I only
occasionally would hear warblers on our unit but Betsy, with better hearing
in the higher pitch range, would hear them more often.  We would also hear
many migrants like Towhee, Wood Thrush, Mourning Warbler, White-throated
Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, etc.

Baby monitors are relatively cheap and can often be found at yard sales for
$5 or $10, brand new for $30 and up.  Another completely wireless device
that used batteries instead of plugging into outlets was called "Mother
Nature's Monitor" and was made by Feldstein and Associates.  It is no longer
being manufactured but perhaps may still be found on Amazon or eBay.  One
thing I wondered about is how frequently you would have to change the
batteries - roughly once a month, one user recalled.

Although the WIRED DEVICES do not offer the convenience of wireless at the
same price, it does appear that wired devices have better sound quality.
Supposedly, whatever you can hear outside standing where the microphone is,
will be transmitted accurately to the speaker on the inside of your home.
The only wired device marketed for people to enjoy the birds outside of
their home that I am aware of, is called "Nature's Window 3", sold online by
TMB Studios.  One respondent has owned this unit for about ten years and
absolutely loves it.  It is much more expensive than a baby monitor,
especially when you include the wire and the optional plug-in connector.
The unit is $124 with a standard 6' wire with small microphone on the end
(called a "probe wire").  For a 30' probe wire, add $59, a 50' wire, add
$116, a 70' wire, add $149.  If you want the convenience of moving the
speaker to different rooms of your home, as with a wireless device, then you
would need the optional plug-in connector for another $69.  Let's say you
want a 30' wire for your finished basement and a 30' wire for your kitchen,
your cost would be 124+59X2+69 = $311!  And of course, you have to run the
wire through your window.  If you open and close your window frequently, it
will likely damage the wire.  Should that happen, you will be glad that you
purchased the optional plug-in connector because otherwise, you would have
to buy a new unit if the wire cannot be repaired!  For wind, the company
suggests using some kind of microphone shield, such as one made from packing
foam.  They claim this helps tremendously.  For additional information, or
to purchase this unit, go to this link:
http://www.tmbstudios.com/proddetail.asp?prod=nw3

For those with the know-how, there are likely other options with wireless
microphone/speaker presentation systems.  I think such systems are geared
toward human rather than avian performances but if you found one that
handled bird calls well, this might be the way to go.

So it comes down to higher quality versus lower price.  Also, the lower
price units will give you the flexibility of listening in different rooms of
your home, which you cannot get from the wired device, unless you spend a
lot more money.

Additional suggestions are welcomed.

Good ear-birding!

Willie