I visited Shu Swamp Preserve (Oyster Bay, Nassau Co.) today (9:15-12:15) for
the first time in quite a while and had a good day of birding overall. But the
highlight of the visit was certainly
the AMERICAN BITTERN found stalking the edge of the small woodland pond near
the Preserve's north end. While the habitat was aquatic, it seemed atypical for
the species what with the
towering oaks and tulip poplars looming overhead and no reeds nearby. Checking
eBird when I got home I found that this bird was also seen on 3/26, so it's
been there for at least 4 days.
Other nice finds were 2 EASTERN PHOEBES and 4 WOOD DUCKS (both personal FOY),
12 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 6 WINTER WRENS (most singing), and 1 HERMIT THRUSH, also
singing.
The thrush was observed to vigorously defend its stage by chasing a Hairy
Woodpecker that dared land too close to it. An Osprey was seen carrying nesting
material (a stick).

Full eBird checklist with photo of the Bittern at:
http://ebird.org/ebird/ny/view/checklist?subID=S13573250