Betsy, Celeste Morien, and I had some nice birds today, including several
first-of-the-year birds.  Among the latter were a COMMON TERN flying along
the shore of Lake Ontario from our yard, two CASPIAN TERNS at Wilson harbor,
two EASTERN PHOEBES, one BARN SWALLOW, and one EURASIAN WIGEON.  We were
told about the Wigeon at Cinnamon Marsh, Tonawanda WMA by Sal Salembier, who
found it this afternoon (access from Meadville Road).  After seeing the
wigeon, we checked out the 300+ TREE SWALLOWS on a wire there and found one
BARN SWALLOW.  There was an abundance of several species of ducks at
Cinnamon Marsh, all looking beautiful in the late afternoon light -
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, RING-NECKED DUCK, HOODED
MERGANSER, WOOD DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, REDHEAD, SHOVELER, MALLARD.

73 RED-NECKED GREBES and 28 HORNED GREBES were off of Shadigee, which is at
the northern extension to Lake Ontario of Rt 63.  Two BLACK SCOTERS were out
from our yard and two SURF SCOTERS were at Olcott Beach.  Lots of
WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS on the lake right now.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter