Details?  Are falconers after this bird, too?

-Peter

--- On Sat, 4/13/13, Cesar Castillo <czar3...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Cesar Castillo <czar3...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Louisiana Waterthrushy day Oakland lake Queens NY
To: "NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu" <NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013, 2:30 PM

Early this morning I headed to Kissena Park to check out the marshes by the
lake.  Last night (4/12 at around 7PM) I saw a Marsh wren there and a possible
moorhen or something similar.  Did not refind the birds this morning (4/13)but
I did see a Louisiana waterthrush (ID confirmed by salmony colour and very
white superciliums).  This bird was located on the slope overlooking the lake
and marsh.  The bird then flew into the marshy area where I had seen and heard
the Marsh Wren. No warblers at Kissena.
I moved on to Oakland lake where it was very warbly.   I saw a Palm and right
behind it was the Louisiana
 Waterthrush.  I though great, a second one for the day and I didnt have to
look too hard to refind this one.  I also encounteredPine, and Yellow-rumped.
Near the water inlet (the stream that feeds the lake) I encountered a second
Lousiana, third of the day surrounded by a few swamp sparrows.  Took my time
trying to get photos, while watching this one a third (fourth of the day) flew
in about three yards away. Wood ducks flew in over my head into the ravine as
this was happening.
After a while I kept walking again and ran into Eric Miller who was looking at
his own Louisiana Waterthrush (5th of the day, 4th at Oakland) by the staircase
on the western shore of the lake.  He also helped me find my FOY Blue-grey
gnatcatcher, and FOY blue-winged teal pair.  Soon I was joined by more birders
(Gary, Bob, Seth, Mary, Steve S.  and Arie).  We all got more good looks at a
Louisiana near the entrance to the park (where I saw the first Louisiana in
this park).  News came of a Ruff in breeding plumage somewhere out on the
Island and most everyone left.  I stayed behind and found my FOY Yellow
Warbler.Moved on to Alley Pond Environmental Center to find my FOY Barn
swallows with Tree Swallows.

Highlights of the dayKissena Park4/12 Marsh Wren4/13Louisiana Waterthrush
Oakland LakeRough-winged Swallows (continue)Tree SwallowsWood ducksBlue-winged
TealBlue-grey gnatcatcherboth kingletsYellow-rumped
 WarblerPine WarblerPalm Warbler4 Louisiana WaterthrushesYellow Warbler
APECBarn Swallow

        Welcome and Basics
        Rules and Information
        Subscribe, Configuration and Leave