I managed to bookend two bird trips today in-between home repairs: an early
morning trip to Southard's Pond and a late afternoon trip to Timber Pt. Marina
and golf course. The trip to Southard's was fairly quiet, with modest numbers
of Yellow-rumped and Pine Warblers present. A few Blue-headed Vireos were heard
and a declining number of Ruby-crowned Kinglets were observed. I had my FOS
Prairie Warbler, a handsome male, at the southwest corner of the pond. A
singing Gray Catbird was either an early migrant or an overwintering bird.

At Timber Pt. Marina I had completed a fruitless scan of the salt marsh from
the dock and was headed out to the marsh north of the parking lot when I ran
into Derek Rogers , who told me that the Black Brant was in the brant flock
that was around the green of the first hole of the Blue Course (the hole on the
south side of the road as you drive east to the marina). We quickly found the
Black Brant with some two hundred Atlantic Brant. After the birds moved on we
headed out to the marsh to look for the Ruffs. Derek shortly observed the two
Ruffs together in the tall marsh grass. We watched them for awhile until they
suddenly flew south towards the golf course. Luckily there were few golfers
around and we were able to look into the water hazard that lies south of the
1st hole. I have bad memories of this particular waterbody, having splashed
many golf balls into this hazard on numerous Sundays. A good walk spoiled,
indeed. Nevertheless, we were rewarded by close observations of the Ruffs, who
were observed taking drinks from the water. Once they had their fill they flew
off back to the salt marsh. Photos of the Ruffs, Black Brant, and a few
migrants can be found on my flickr site.

Yesterday at Hempstead Lake State Park there was a Worm-eating Warbler in the
woods between the parking lot and the South Pond, in addition to good numbers
of Pine and Palm Warblers - this year being one of the more protracted
migrations for these two species that I can remember.

Good Birding,

Ken Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/