Plateau Mountain, Greene County
Monday, 03 June and Wednesday, 05 June 2013

This year I conducted two early morning breeding bird surveys on the
summit of Plateau Mountain in the Catskills for the Vermont Center for
Ecostudies Mountain Birdwatch program (one on the north end of the
two-mile long plateau, the second on my traditional south end).
Employing six 20-minute point counts/survey, the effort starts before
sunrise and attempts to document the presence of Bicknell's Thrush and
six additional target species that breed in the high-elevation
coniferous forest.

Weather conditions were ideal on 05 June, with cold temperatures (48°
F), clear skies and relatively little wind.  The combination of clear
crisp skies and lack of light pollution made for spectacular star gazing
on Plateau's dark summit ledge overlook. Conditions Monday were
noticeably warmer and much more humid with temperatures ranging from
62-65° F with intermittent light rain at the summit, followed by cloudy
skies later in the morning.

Highlights from the mountain (including the early morning ascent in
darkness, survey period, post-count walk across the plateau, and the
lower elevation descent) include approximately 15 Bicknell's Thrush, 12
Swainson's Thrush, 10 Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, 10 Blackpoll Warblers,
9 Winter Wrens, 12 Magnolia Warblers, 8 White-throated Sparrows, 5
Red-breasted Nuthatches, 12 Golden-crowned Kinglets, 6 Purple Finches, 5
Dark-eyed Juncos, and a singing male Mourning Warbler in the same
location I have encountered a singing male in several recent past years.
Blackburnian and Yellow-rumped Warblers were also present in typically
good numbers at higher elevations.  Overall, numbers of most species
were down compared to previous years, and Bicknell's Thrush in
particular were detected in notably fewer instances.  As is often the
case, most birds were heard vocalizing, but one Bicknell's Thrush
silently flew in during a point count and perched 15 feet away on an
exposed branch at eye level, providing an uncommonly good look at this
dense forest dweller.

I did not detect Northern Saw-whet Owl, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, or Canada
Warbler this year.  The traditional Barred Owl was once again calling
from Devil's Tombstone on both nights, and I encountered another
interesting moth phenomenon.  On the 03 ascent under warm, humid
conditions, there were literally thousands of small non-descript moths
flying at low and mid elevations, including into my headlamp.  This moth
has been present in good numbers in some previous years, but this past
Monday was the largest and most widespread flight I have ever
encountered on this mountain.  Remarkably, there were NO moths flying
two nights later during the colder June 05 ascent.  Temperature related,
or a highly synchronized and limited flight period?

Following the survey, I descended the mountain and encountered another
singing Mourning Warbler apparently on territory in Stony Clove Notch,
and discovered several locations hosting Pepper and Salt Skippers.  I
also noted numerous roadkill moths and butterflies along the shoulder of
Rte. 214, including the remains of a Luna Moth, and many flying Tiger
Swallowtails.  The extremely steep sides of Hunter and Plateau Mountain
flank Stony Clove Notch and apparently effectively funnel leps out onto
Rte 214 where they encounter high-speed traffic and significant
mortality.

The following is a complete list of bird species encountered on Plateau
Mountain over the two-day period (adjusted to avoid duplication):

Barred Owl (1- vocalizing on the ascent)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (10)
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay (3)
Common Raven (2)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (5)
Brown Creeper (4)
Winter Wren (9)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (12)
Bicknell's Thrush (15)
Swainson's Thrush (12)
Hermit Thrush (6)
Cedar Waxwing (1)
Magnolia Warbler (12)
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler (typically numerous)
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler (typically numerous)
Blackpoll Warbler (10)
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird