An overcast morning walk up the east side of the East Pond yielded
good numbers of shorebirds, particularly Short-billed Dowitcher, but
the poor variety continued. On the way north i encountered fair
numbers of White-rumped Sandpipers, and a single adult Long-billed
Dowticher, feeding with the numerous Short-billed's. Northern
Waterthushes were much in evidence on my way up the East Pond.. At the
north end of the Pond I met Andrew Baksh (who else!), and we worked
over the shorebirds for quite some time, picking out a lone Ruddy
Turnstone and a Sanderling but not much else. We observed increased
numbers of Black-bellied Plovers numbers roosting west of the island.
Andrew found a Wilson's Phalarope maniacally feeding on the eastern
shoreline just below the island and we watched the bird as it made its
way south down the Pond. We were joined by Eric Miller as the
requisite phone calls were made concerning the phalarope's presence.
Unfortunately, the phalarope gave us the slip south of the raunt just
as a number of birders arrived looking for it. I have put up some
photos of the day's birds on my flickr site.

Ken Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/