Certainly not as "birdy" as the reports from other sites suggested but there
were birds in the sites mentioned in the SUBJECT line.  However, one had to
cover a lot of ground to get them.  I wondered if the winds had anything to do
with what was observed since it was windy at both Fort Tilden and RIIS park for
most of the morning.

Birding with Isaac Grant for some time at Fort Tilden, RIIS Park and finally
along archery road at Floyd Bennett Field.  Our overall warbler tally for the
day was 14 with ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER being the highlight in that group, seen
only by Isaac before I ran into him at Fort Tilden.

A second pass for Isaac and first for me near the golf course at RIIS Park
resulted in us finding a DICKCISSEL near the south west corner of the fence
line of the golf course.  Earlier, we also had
LINCOLN SPARROW in a scrubby area at the beginning of the trail as you made
your west towards the Hawk Watch platform at Fort Tilden.

Later on at Floyd Bennett Field, in another scrubby area along Archery Road we
had very nice looks at a PHILADELPHIA VIREO.

While we did have multiples of warblers species, the numbers were nothing like
those we were picking up on the wire being reported from other city parks where
the birds appeared to be more concentrated. Our only significant multiple worth
mentioning is Common Yellowthroat with a conservative count of 110 when
combining all three sites.

As far as hawk flights, we did have 3 American Kestrels, 1 Merlin and 1 Osprey
at Fort Tilden and 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk at Floyd Bennett Field.  Other flight
movements noted included good numbers of Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Cedar
Waxwings and a few Bobolinks, most seen at Fort Tilden.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand
like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com