Andy and all,

the below link may assist in understanding. Issues from their main
central Mexican wintering roosts, from much of their migratory passage
habitat and - [possibly even more than the latter two factors] - that
which is discussed in the link can be factored in to a decline of the
N. American population of Monarch butterflies and the phenomenon of
their great migrations.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/tracking_the_causes_of_sharp__decline_of_the_monarch_butterfly/2634/

Just by chance I had a brief correspondence with a hawk-watch counter
at Detroit where a slightly more hopeful number of Monarchs were seen
on this day, all headed south from there - said to have been upwards
of 75-100. We hope there may yet be more as it may remain at least
mild enough for late emergence of migratory-brood adults thru some of
the U.S. and for now perhaps even in s. Canada.

Good everything-watching,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan