10/25/13 Long Lake to Keene Valley.then briefly the Champlain Valley..back
to Keene Valley & home to Long Lake (Hamilton & Essex Counties)

My younger son Ryan has been home this past week on a college break and he
climbed three Adirondack High Peaks (12 left now to be an Adirondack 46er!).
He found ice on Phelps and Tabletop on 10/23/13 (& had several falls), so he
took crampons to climb Big Slide on 10/25/13.  The 3 inches of new snow
helped with footing, so the crampons stayed in his pack yesterday.  It
continues to snow at our home in Long Lake today (2000') - it's lovely!  (I
posted Ryan's photo of the stairway/ladder that leads to the summit of Big
Slide on my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .)

I had only a short time to visit the Champlain Valley (my son was up and
down Big Slide in 3.5 hours) before heading back to Keene Valley.  I visited
Westport and Noblewood in mid to late afternoon.  Here are a few of the 31
species found:

Waterfowl: Canada Goose, Amer. Black Duck, Mallard, Bufflehead, Horned Grebe

Bald Eagle - a wet adult flushed all the birds I was observing in Westport!

Greater Yellowlegs - 1 at Westport

Gulls: Bonaparte's, Ring-billed, Herring, and Great Black-backed (1 at
Westport, and 1 at Noblewood)

Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets

Eastern Bluebird (2 on Co. Route 22G and ~15 on Napper Road in Westport)

Yellow-rumped Warbler - several

Sparrows: Song, White-crowned, and Dark-eyed Junco

Snow Bunting - 1 in Minerva on the Blue Ridge Road (close to the border with
Newcomb), first-of-the-season

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY