---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Pawlicki <jmpawl...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] *Elegant Tern* on Niagara River at Beaver Island
SP, Grand Island
To: geneseebirds-l <geneseebird...@geneseo.edu>

This is just a quick note to get the word out on the internet in case
anyone wants to make plans for tomorrow.

Vicky Rothman called me up around 1 pm today saying that she had an
"orange-billed" tern slightly larger than Bonaparte's Gulls sitting in the
shallows of the Niagara River near the loop just offshore Beaver Island
State Park (Grand Island, Erie County). I was able to see and photograph
the bird with Vicki around 1:30 p.m. and after some observation it was
clear to both of us that the bird was not a Royal Tern and was one of the
smaller orange-billed terns -- apparently and perhaps most realistically a
juvenile/1st-cycle Elegant Tern. WNY Birds text alerts went out and a few
people started arriving in short order, although the bird was not seen
again till 3 pm when it made a quick fly-by over the sitting gulls in the
shallows, attempting, but not landing, and then continuing out of sight to
the east towards Strawberry and (newly-formed/rocky) Frog Islands.  Several
other people arrived, but the bird was not seen again as far as I know.

Places to check tomorrow apart from the above location would be to scope
Frog and Strawberry Islands from either Beaver Island State Park or the
Sheridan Drive Boat Launch in Tonawanda for sitting birds (distant,
scope-needed), and possibly other locations on the upper river such as Rich
Marine (which is still holding at least 6 Common Terns this evening per Tom
Kerr) and other areas around Beaver Island park such as the wetland
restoration at the east end near Ferry Rd., plus the sandy swimming beach
(no birds there today) and the marina.

I will post some record shots of the bird later this evening.

Jim Pawlicki

Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library
Cornell Lab of Ornithology