As others have said already, being a high-arctic breeder Snowy Owls really
have no choice but to hunt in daylight because there is little or no night
during the summer. This, I would guess, is what the textbooks are referring
to. The opposite will be true during the winter for the many birds that
stay north, when the night is long. Also the owls will have the prey to
themselves when strictly diurnal competitors such as Rough-legged Hawk and
Golden Eagle are roosting. So to persist in the far north the species must
be quite flexible relative to other owls and this would come in handy when
birds irrupt southward.

Speaking from a coastal perspective, I've never seen a wintering Snowy
actively hunting during the day time. They certainly move around,
occasionally spar with others when present, dodge attacks from Short-eared
Owls or hawks and are generally vigilant but don't seem to be hunting per
se. I've routinely seen them become much more active at dusk, presumably in
preparation for a night of hunting. It would be interesting to hear if this
rest up during the day and hunt by night holds true for birds wintering on
farmland where they target different prey from those on the coast.

Many will remember the Snowy Owl that frequented Piermont Pier (Rockland
Co.) in Februrary 2007. This bird dined on Ruddy Ducks snatched from the
sheltered bay, bringing them back to a perch where the pile of discarded
heads and feet attracted a most splendid adult Ivory Gull. My recollection
was that the owl fed mostly at night but maybe someone can confirm or
refute this. A priori, it would seem a lot easier for the owl to swoop down
on roosting ducks (and as we've heard roosting gulls) under the cover of
darkness when it has the visual advantage. Phil Jeffrey has posted pictures
(albeit gory ones) of the polishing off a stiff tail.

http://philjeffrey.net/piermont2.html

Bottom line, individual Snowy Owls can probably adapt their
feeding/roosting cycles to fit the available prey. I imagine they also hunt
less and roost more if food is easy to acquire during optimal periods. With
so many owls around this year, it would interesting to learn from field
observers what the current birds (largely immatures by the fact that most
are very heavily barred) are feeding on and when they do so. One more
reason to view from a distance and let them to do their thing.

Angus Wilson
New York City