Pictures relating to the following are at http://www.stevewalternature.com/

It was good to hear Mike Cooper's January 12 report that the presumably same
Iceland Gull is back and doing well at Iron Pier Beach. I photographed this
bird on January 7, 2012 (lower left) and as an immature February 16, 2009,
making it over 5 years old now. Mike's report was timely in that I consider
this to be the prototypical Kumlien's Gull, with gray in the wingtips, and I
referred to it for comparison to a surprising looking individual at Jones
Beach West End Sunday (wing, upper right). The markings in its wings were
black and a bit more extensive than the Iron Pier bird, and its head a bit
more angular than might be expected. I discussed this with Shai Mitra, who
indicated that a bird matching my description has been seen there
sporadically over the years. In fact, he produced a picture he took January
2, 2006 (top left). If indeed the same bird, it would be at least 11 years
old now. But on top of that, he mentioned seeing a black marked individual
in Suffolk county. The next day, Sean Sime reported a black marked bird in
Brooklyn. What's up with that? I haven't seen literature mentioning the
existence of Iceland Gulls with black in the wingtips. The absence of
markings is, however, mentioned for a tiny percentage, as seen in the bird
photographed at Point Lookout February 24, 2013 (bottom right). Appreciating
a variability in Kumlien's Gulls that they may not get enough credit for.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY