This afternoon in Brooklyn, after dropping my daughter off at the train, I made
a couple of stops on the way back home to check for birds, planning not to
leave the warmth of the car. There was an adult male European Wigeon off the
58th Street pier in Brooklyn and 330 RBGU roosting on the pier. A few minutes
glassing the gulls circling over the Owl's Head WWTP revealed nothing of
interest, but as I turned onto Shore Road to head home I saw there were a good
number of RBGU roosting on Veteran's Memorial pier. I only had my binoculars
and not enough warm clothing but decided to park and walk out on the pier far
enough to make sure the BHGU that had frequented this area over the past few
years was not roosting among them. This is what I found instead:

http://tinyurl.com/k3of77w

I actually had to go home and retrieve my camera (and some warmer clothes) to
get these shots, and luckily the bird was still there. I say lucky because
shortly thereafter the whole flock upped with some birds heading south and some
north and some settling on the water. I lost the Common Gull and then did not
relocate it in the next 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was a little after high tide
and in total the bird was on or in the area for ~30 minutes before I lost track
of it. I initially sdaw the bird around 2:00.

I was initially drawn to the dark eye, smallish yellow-green bill with smudgy
black subterminal markings, a more rounded head giving it a gentler expression
than the nearby Ring-bills. A prominent tertial crescent and decidedly larger
mirror in P10 all seemed good. The mantle color seemed concolorous with the
surrounding RBGU and the legs appeared more yellow than I expected, but some
research online and in my gull reference books at home seem to indicate a high
degree of variability in Larus Canus, as there is in most of the larger gull
taxa.

Unfortunately I was not able to get any spread wing or flight shots but I did
note that there was a sizable mirror on P9 and moons somewhere on P6-8/9,
though I'm not exactly sure of their placement.

Regards,
Shane Blodgett
Brooklyn NY