This past Sunday the 16th I headed up to Paul Smiths for my annual X-country
ski trip.  On Monday while skiing the east snowmobile trail at Bloomingdale Bog
I came upon a flock of 10 Black-capped Chickadees and two Boreal Chickadees
about 1.5 miles down the trail.  The Boreal Chickadees were calling and perched
on the nearby evergreen trees for a good view.  The next morning I decided to
ski the west side trail at Bloomingdale Bog and observed five Gray Jays at the
stump/feeder where people deposit seed.  Continuing west  I met three local
birders who had good view of a Black-backed Woodpecker on the south side of the
trail earlier that morning.  Skiing on another mile or so a Boreal Chickadee
was mixed in with a group of twelve or so Black-capped Chickadees.

Finishing my ski at Bloomingdale I decided to try Bigelow Road off of Oregon
Plains Road thinking I might come upon a Black-backed Woodpecker.
Unsuccessful, I returned to the west trail of Bloomingdale and did a quick ski
in as it was late afternoon.   After about 1.5 miles in I heard drumming on the
south side of the trail.   Within a few seconds a Black-backed Woodpecker flew
over my head to the north side and looked to be heading east.

Heading back home on Thursday morning at 8:00 AM I noticed two birds gritting
in the middle of White Pine Road which turned out to be a pair of Red
Crossbills.  These are probably the same birds that are being seen at the Paul
Smith's VIC.  According to the VIC staff the pair can be seen and heard in the
morning around 8:30 AM near the new sugar house by the employee parking area.

Other birds seen while driving in the area included Pileated Woodpecker and
Cedar Waxwings (13).

Sue Feustel