Spurred on by yesterday's intriguing post to this listserve, and just
before heading out to roam the Riverhead/Northville road & field complex
while trying for "The Immaculate Connection", I decided to check the
computer one last time for a possible update on the "white-bird !. No on
that, but yes on a bird (Pink-footed Goose) I've managed to miss at least a
dozen times this winter...and only ~ a 5 minute drive away...thank you Mike
Yuan & Bob Washburn ! Things started well as I left the condo
property, finding 6 Turkey Vultures circling over the McGann-Mercy H.S.
grounds, which is right across the street from us.. My next bit of good
fortune was, upon arriving at the goose site, finding Seth Ausubel & Mary
Normandia already there, with the Pink-footed in their scopes !  Seth then
discovered a 2nd post re: the goose leaving this location earlier, and
coming down ~ a mile up the road, due north. It was decided that I would
check out that location and call back my findings. After awhile, I did find
a Pink-footed Goose, but when I called, was told their bird had taken off,
heading north & west. Seth & Mary then came up to my location, but by then,
we could not re-locate my bird. Since I didn't see/know when this bird
landed, the possibility of a 2nd Pink-footed became moot. A Mute Swan, out
in this field, was quite an unusual sight - I can't remember when I've last
seen this species (rather than a Tundra) in this type habitat. After Seth &
Mary took off, a hunting, female N. Harrier put in an appearance.

I also had a male N. Harrier cross Roanoke Ave n/o there, and at Iron Pier
Beach, Jamesport, again saw the adult Iceland Gull, with the dark gray
wing-tips.

Cheers,
Bob