From: "Robert Taylor" <rmtaylo...@gmail.com>
To: "nysbirds-l" <nysbirds-l@cornell.edu>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Jones Beach West End/ Meadowbrook Parkway Sunday: Rough
Legged Hawk, Blackbirds (not Rusty)
Date: Mon, Feb 24, 2014 12:25 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for everyone's help with the blackbird ID from yesterday - most are
saying they were Boat Tailed Grackles and not Rusty Blackbirds.

Speaking of blackbirds, at Jones Beach West End and by Meadowbrook Parkway I
saw Red Wing Blackbirds and Boat Tailed Grackles.

At the Coast Guard Marina I saw the same waterfowl as Saturday - a female
bufflehead and 2 Horned Grebes as well as 2 Common Loons and Brant.  There were
more birds on the median today: Killdeer, Juncos, Mockingbirds.

I met a very pleasant couple looking for a light phase/ghost Northern Harrier,
but we found a typical one over the dunes.  A crowd was gathered observing a
Snowy Owl.

Along the Meadowbrook, I saw the previously reported Rough Legged Hawk and also
3 Red Tailed Hawks.

Good birding,
Rob in Massapequa

pic of the Rough Legged Hawk etc on my blog
http://longislandbirding.blogspot.com/

Welcome and Basics

Rules and Information

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave