Tuesday, 25 February, 2014 - Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

A surprise this mid-day - for the late-winter date (& have not seen
any recent report of such), a PINE WARBLER, seen well and at very
close range, at the "oven" area next to the Lake (a bit west of The
Point) in the Ramble of Central Park (Manhattan, N.Y. City).  This at
about 12:45 p.m. & in company with many other birds, a great number of
them White-throated Sparrows, as well as a miscellany of other typical
park resident & wintering birds.  The warbler appeared most like a
female to my eye, and any further sightings would be of great
interest, as well as any reports of this (or any warbler) over the
past month & more. This is extremely early for an arriving Pine
Warbler, & yet I am unaware of reports of one having been seen here
this winter. A likely area to check in addition to the site it was
seen in would be the not-far-off feeding station a bit to the north in
the Ramble.  When viewed, the Pine Warbler was actively feeding, and
spent a bit of time on lingering snow, picking at what presumably was
miniscule insect life there, as well as feeding from small branches &
twigs.

At the feeders, a brilliant adult male Baltimore Oriole as well as far
less colorful female (or non-breeding male) Baltimore Oriole were
seen, just moments before the warbler sighting. At least a modest
number of birds had been moving in this &/or recent milder days, as
there are now more American Robins about than in the days before the
weekend, and also some Common Grackle movement on this & previous 2
mornings was detected. In addition at least 25 American Crows were
passing by the park this midday.

The path around the reservoir is now about 90% or more snow & ice
free, while the reservoir's surface is still much more than 90%
covered in ice. I scanned there for a short time seeking any uncommon
gulls, or other birds but did not find any of special note. A number
of Wood Ducks continue, this morning: 5 at the reservoir, as well as
others scattered from the Lake and the Pond (s. end of the park). I
also flushed (without intent) an American Woodcock at the n. woods
earlier this morning. There may well be a few more of them in favored
sites.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan