hello
I am a physicist studying collective animal behaviour, both at the
experimental and theoretical level.
I have been working in particular on flocks of starling (Sturnus vulgaris):

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/4/1232
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/26/11865.full

here is a less technical account of my work:
http://blog.allaboutbirds.org/2013/02/21/how-do-starling-flocks-create-those-mesmerizing-murmurations/

lab page:
http://www.sapienza.isc.cnr.it/biological-systems/flocking.html

my lab is in Rome, but I am currently a visiting Professor of Physics at
the Graduate Center, CUNY, in New York City.
I am considering to set up a lab in NYC to perform the same experimental
activity on starling flocks as the one I run in Rome.

in our field experiments we use a multi-camera system to take 3-dimensional
images of large flocks of starling, during their evening aerial display
over their roost. by large I mean of order 1000 individuals, but also
flocks in the 100s are interesting for us. we normally do that from the top
of some public buildings in the city center of Rome, where starlings have
very substantial roosting sites. all this happens during winter months. you
can get an idea of our experimental setup here:
http://www.sapienza.isc.cnr.it/component/content/article/86-research/247-cobbs-flocking-experiment-setup.html

since I've arrived in NYC last September I've seen no flocking activity of
starlings, despite the large number of starlings all around.
this was somewhat disappointing, in view of my planned experimental
activity.

here are my questions:

are you aware of any starling flocking activity in NYC?
are you aware of any reliable roosting/flocking site for starlings in NY
state, possible close to NYC?
are you aware of any other bird species forming large flocks in this area?

thank you for your help
regards

Andrea Cavagna

Initiative for the Theoretical Sciences