Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx Co., N.Y. City - Friday, 21 March, 2014

Signs of spring at V.C. Park in mid-day included 6 Killdeer out on the
Parade Ground ballfields, at least 5 Eastern Bluebirds (4 of them
brilliant males) managing to hawk small insects at the s. slope of
Vault Hill, a few Rusty Blackbirds in evidence around the s. end of
the marsh, south of the VCP golf course (which was filled with
golfers), and a plucky E. Phoebe staying low by the water's edge at
the n. end of the lake... which had almost no waterfowl - I saw a
scant few dozen Canada Geese come in, and then head off somewhere else
soon after.

No signs yet of early spring flora (such as skunk cabbage) but there
were a few turtles out (included Painted) & my first leps in the
region this year, a Mourning Cloak butterfly & a few very small moths
that I doubt l can ID from dim photos...

Good "spring-is-sprung" sightings,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan