4/11/14 - 4/12/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) (*: first-of-the-season)

Last night, as I was heading to bed, I decided to go birding instead.  So I
got dressed and woke my husband (which he really appreciated) to tell him I
was heading out to listen for owls.  I drove to the Little Tupper Lake
outlet on Sabattis Circle Rd. and a Northern Saw-whet Owl was tooting (I was
out from 11 to 12:30 a.m.).  American Woodcocks were peenting and displaying
in the marsh area (and at all my stops along the road), a Pied-billed Grebe
vocalized, and I could hear chewing (I assume a beaver) and splashing in the
outlet.  It was a beautiful, calm, but cold night, with the moon, brilliant
stars, and interesting clouds in the night sky.  I stood in the dark for a
long time just listening to all the wonderful, wild sounds and staring at
the stars - moments like these are why I love living in the Adirondacks.  I
wanted to drive all the way to Sabattis Station, and also check areas near
Long Lake, but I was falling asleep - I may just head out again tonight!

Early this morning, my husband and I listened to a Barred Owl vocalizing
behind our house as we had coffee.  I drove back to the Little Tupper Lake
outlet this morning and as usual, this location was exciting!  There were
two male Red Crossbills gritting in the road (I later saw a female, so there
were at least 3), but my attention turned to a chaotic mass of birds a
couple hundred feet from the crossbills.  Binoculars revealed a Northern
Shrike that was actively attempting to catch one of the birds harassing it -
Red-winged Blackbirds, Blue Jays, and Amer. Robins.  I ended up taking
photographs and video of the shrike.  The shrike was vocalizing almost the
entire time (I find them vocalizing when the first arrive in late fall and
again in April before they head north).  While I was watching the shrike, I
spotted a first-of-the-season *Brown Thrasher and it also vocalized.  There
was a Fox Sparrow singing in the marsh and it can be heard on my video of
the shrike.  Over at the Round Lake outlet, a male *Wood Duck was observed.
At Sabattis Bog, a *Northern Flicker called and flew around.  While I was
recording the Northern Shrike with an iPhone, the Red Crossbills flew
directly over me calling, so they made it onto the recording too!

This evening, at dusk, I hiked up the mountain we live on - snow was knee
deep most of the way, so it was a good work-out!  At the summit, a Barred
Owl started to call from down below, and another one began to hoot.  I
hooted to the owl and we went back and forth for 15 minutes!  I stopped when
a *Hermit Thrush began to call about 20 feet from me!  It went through all
of its call notes.  I thought 4/12 might be an early date for our location,
but last year they showed up on 4/11.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY