Because it seems to be a depressing day for bird news, and because numerous NY
birders head to Sandy Hook on occasion (me among them), below is a posting from
Tom Brown on NJ Birds from earlier today (with links he provided for comment)
regarding a Park Service plan that is likely to have a major negative impact on
Raccoon Alley perhaps the best migratory passerine trap at the Hook

Hi All,

There are plans to build a large maintenance facility from the rusty barn north
to racoon alley, it would involve a great amount of disruption, if
not utter destruction of one of the most productive/important areas at Sandy
Hook in terms of migrants and resident birds/wildlife.  I've sent a
letter to several people in park service, NJ fish and wildlife (DEP), NJ
division of USFWS, some local papers, and will be sending to others as well.

The first one to make this public was the electronic NJ Patch:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/middletown-nj/please-oppose-national-park-services-plan-build-new-maintenance-building#.VCmJhqjD-cx

At the end of the article is a link to the Park Service's website where
comments can be made.  I do admit the letter is a bit long, but hopefully
is informative.

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/parkHome.cfm?parkID=237&CFID=10251541&CFTOKEN=18ee3c538549fd9-967CBED4-D1D9-FC8F-41CA7394A66DE95E&jsessionid=0D5BB84EC3C3A5D6BD6D0E9330D00F57.ParkPlanning

cheers,

Tom Brown