Coloration-wise, sure.  However there are at least a few European N.
Wheatear photos on the web - tagged as first fall for whatever reason -
that show more pointed primary and retrix profiles than comparable adults.
My own photos of European/Greenland ssp aren't good enough for this
comparison.  I also have no idea how feather profile varies with population
- Greenland ssp being an extreme migrant, but the European and Alaskan ones
being no slouches either.  The Portland Bill entry for 26th March 2011
suggests that feather shape could be a useful feature, with the usual
caveat that you've got to get really good photographs to make that call:
http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/latest_mar2011.htm

It might be really interesting to look at good tail-end-on photos of this
Wheatear in terms of feather shape rather than color.

First approximation likelihood on age would be: proportion of adult males
seen in the prior Wheatear invasions into the NorthEast ?

Phil Jeffrey
NJ

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Shaibal Mitra <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>
wrote:

>  This is more difficult than it might seem. Although we can probably
> exclude an adult male, distinguishing the other three age/sex combos in the
> field is very difficult.
>
>  This puts us around the same place we found ourselves back in 2001, when
> Angus and others of us staked out the then state of the art in Long Island
> wheatear analysis:
>
>  http://www.oceanwanderers.com/NYWhtear.html
>
>  Another (also possibly unanswerable) question is whether this bird is a
> Greenland Wheatear, from eastern Arctic Canada, or possibly an Alaskan
> Wheatear, beating along the trail from Beringia to Plumb Beach, as though
> it were a Yellow Wagtail!
>
>  <http://www.oceanwanderers.com/NYWhtear.html>Shai Mitra
> Bay Shore

"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge"
- Henry Spencer