Robert Moses State Park witnessed one of the more memorable fallouts in recent
years this morning, with clouds of sparrows on the lawn and moving through the
bushes. Overhead, flyby Pine Siskins and Purple Finch put in a good showing.
Species that exceeded a thousand individuals included Pine Siskin (1,972),
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1,765), Dark-eyed Junco (1,490), and White-throated
Sparrow (1,155). Our count was not stationary, so I expect the folks who were
counting the birds as they passed down the beach to have significantly higher
totals. Additionally, there were so many birds that "counter's fatigue" set in.
Some interesting sightings included Orange-crowned Warbler, Lincoln's Sparrow,
and Clay-colored Sparrow. As is so often the case on big flight days, no real
rarities were seen (at least, to our knowledge, at RMSP), although a flyby
Short-eared Owl seen by John Heidecker (sp.)must have been a treat. Of interest
to us was the four Hairy Woodpeckers we saw at RMSP -  generally a rare bird on
the barrier beach. As a means of comparison, over the years we have probably
seen more Red-headed Woodpeckers on the barrier beach in the Fall than Hairy
Woodpeckers. A few photos from the days birding are on my flickr site.

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/