Celeste Morien, Sue Barth, Betsy Potter, and I met at Celeste's for a day of
birding today.  No Redpolls at her feeder today (they were seen yesterday),
so we settled for six PINE SISKINS.  Making our way to the Batavia WWTP we
had lots of Juncos and Tree Sparrows on the road shoulders.  We also had two
FOX SPARROWS as well as a LAPLAND LONGSPUR with HORNED LARKS.  At the
Batavia WWTP, we had 100 NORTHERN SHOVELERS, 46 RUDDY DUCKS, 2 RING-NECKD
DUCKS, and 64 MALLARDS, most of which were in the aerated ponds that are
near the administration building.  Other birds seen on other ponds in small
openings in the ice were single HOODED and COMMON MERGANSERS, two
BONAPARTE'S GULLS, 12 TUNDRA SWANS, and an AMERICAN PIPIT.  We also had an
adult BALD EAGLE fly over.  No sign of the Eared Grebes.  We found the huge
flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS along the south side of the plant property, roughly
500 birds, and had good long studies of them as they teed up in bare
deciduous trees.  We could not come up with the recently reported Bohemian
Waxwings - we are pretty sure they just were not there.  We then tried the
Batavia Airport where three Snowy Owls have been seen in recent weeks but
found none.

Along Allis Road in the Town of Shelby, Orleans County, we had three LAPLAND
LONGSPURS with 14 HORNED LARKS.  Along nearby Martin Road we found a very
white adult male SNOWY OWL (east of Bigford Rd), making up for missing it at
Batavia.  Also along Martin Road, near East Shelby Road, we had a flock of
several hundred MALLARDS, with a few BLACK DUCKS, landing in distant fields
and a half frozen pond.  Nearby was a flock of 250 SNOW BUNTINGS.

After leaving Celeste's house, Sue found two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE
with a huge flock of CANADA GEESE along Fletcher Chapel Road.  We were
almost right behind her and also got to see these birds.  However, they flew
before Celeste could get there.  They appeared to be headed to Ring-necked
Marsh at Iroquois NWR, possibly to roost for the night.  This would be a
good place to look for them in upcoming days.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter