Two separate sightings of a pair of Common Ravens in Sayville earlier this
month had me focusing my attention on the nearby water and cell towers in the
area. About a week ago I noticed an interesting looking nest that had been
built along the west side of the water tower in Patchogue. The overall size and
structure of the nest seemed to look best for Common Raven.

Sure enough, I drove by the water tower this morning to find two Common Ravens
on the nest. One of the birds was physically in the nest and had a stick in
it's bill (appeared to be nest building) and the other perched on the railing
beside the nest and was calling frequently.

The water tower is located on the south side of Montauk Highway, immediately
south of West Lake in Patchogue. There is roadside parking along the south side
of Montauk Highway, which is also the best location to view the nest. You can't
miss the nest and it's easily seen with the naked eye, especially when
approaching from the west. Like the Hampton Bays Ravens, these birds are
spending quite a bit of time away from the nest therefore persistence may be
necessary to eventually catch a glimpse of them. Good luck if you try and
please keep a respectful distance from the water tower. This is a really unique
opportunity to view these extremely interesting birds.

Best,
Derek Rogers
Sayville