While driving home from doing errands, Betsy and I were surprised to see two
SNOWY OWLS on Cambria-Lockport Townline Road (aka Junction Road and State
Route 93), about one half mile south of Rt 104, on the west side of the
road.  We saw just one at first and stopped to check it out but it soon flew
a little further back into the field and landed within seven feet of the
other owl!  We heard some calls coming from the owls but neither chased the
other and we left them like that.  The first bird, a very white owl, appears
to be an adult male.  The other lightly marked bird is either an adult
female or immature male.  There have been an inordinate number of adult male
Snowys seen this fall.  Seeing as last year's incredible incursion involved
many young males, I wonder if these are the same birds returning as adults.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Betsy Potter