West End obviously received some good coverage today, with many birders
recording the same species independently. We started out the morning getting a
quick view of an immature Northern Goshawk as it flew across the Fishing Road
at about 10:OOAM. Working our way south along the West End jetty, we observed
three Harlequin Ducks on the Pt. Lookout side of the inlet. While observing the
Harlequin's we heard a flyby Horned Lark calling, looking up we saw an immature
Bald Eagle high overhead, quickly observing a second immature bird nearby.
Looking at the sky more closely, we found a third immature Bald Eagle,
accompanied by a smaller buteo (probably a Red-tail). After snapping some
photos we continued on our hike. A flock of thirteen Tree Swallows are hanging
in, where they ranged all over West End. Off the first Pt. Lookout jetty was a
flock of some two hundred Common Eider, with a fair number of adult males
present. The birds were too distant to see if any King Eiders (especially
females) were present. At the tip of the West End jetty there were approx.
eighteen hundred Dunlin. We patiently went through the birds, finally locating
a single Western Sandpiper. We did not see the Ground Dove, and we missed the
longspurs. We did pick up a Vesper Sparrow at the eastern exit to WE2. Photos
of the Eagles, Western Sandpiper (sleeping), and the Vesper Sparrow are on my
Flickr site.

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/