Another exciting Gull Season has begun on the Hudson River in Orange
County.  Annually, around this time, Gulls begin to congregate on the Hudson
late in the afternoon, with numbers peaking just before dark.  The current
number of individuals is in the ballpark of 2500 birds.  Historically this
number will steadily increase until sometime mid-late January when the number
will top out around 10,000 birds (Hi Corey).  The ideal circumstances arise,
when the river is 50-75% ice packed and when the Newburgh side is left open,
although the Dutchess County folks would probably differ and like it more when
the Newburgh side is ice packed and the Beacon Waterfront is open water.  At
that time, the birds congregate along the ice edge and ride loose ice up and
down the flowing river, making for optimal viewing.  Currently, there is no ice
at Newburgh.  With that many gulls, the potential is great for rarities.  In
previous years, we have seen increasing numbers of Lesser Black-backed(up to 3
at a time) and Iceland Gulls(up to 5 at a time).  Glaucous Gulls are also seen
on occasion and 3 years ago, a Slaty-backed Gull was found and photographed on
the Beacon side of the river.     Yesterday, while scanning from the Newburgh
side, in an area just North of Washington Street, my father, Ken McDermott,
found a beautiful first winter (pale juvenile) Iceland Gull.  This was our
first notable gull this winter but will certainly not the last.
     For those interested in checking this area, the entire Newburgh waterfront
from Washington Street to Second Street is worth checking and offers multiple
viewing opportunities.  On the Beacon side, The Beacon Waterfront Park (In
front of the Metro North Train  Station) is the ideal spot.  I have included a
map of the Newburgh side for familiarization.
Good Birding,     Curt McDermott

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4994316,-74.013773,15z