Today my girlfriend and I had the pleasure of seeing a beautiful snowy owl at
Jones Beach next to the jetty. As we approached the jetty we saw the bird fly
in and settle close to a pair of photographers.

As we watched the photographers approach the bird, they caused it to fly
further down the beach. I thought it was unfortunate that the bird was
disturbed like that and was incredulous as I watched the photographers walk
down the beach to where the bird had landed and flushed it again.

Upon speaking with some other birders at the jetty we discovered that these
same photographers had been there for two hours chasing this poor bird up and
down the beach.

I have seen this behavior before in Maine. The attitude that these birds exist
only for us to take photos of them. The light wasn't great today and one of the
photographers was using a flash to try and light the birds beautiful eyes.

I'm appealing to all of my fellow birders to help discourage this kind of
behavior. These birds have value as individuals and deserve a rest after their
long journey. They are exhausted and just need some nice prey and a safe place
to rest.

I'm hoping that the photographers I saw today are reading this post and will
refrain from treating other wild animals in this manner.

Happy birding and Happy Holidays to you all.
Sent from my iPhone