Hoping to catch up with some of the recent "specials" seen in the Riverhead
area, I spent ~ 3 hours touring the sod farms, and other agricultural
fields. I did find 2 moderately sized Canada flocks, with only 1 Snow Goose
to show for it...but I'm not complaining...with it being my FOS, which
speaks volumes as to how little I've been in the field lately. Since the
day was overcast/snowing, and thinking a Short-eared Owl might be hungry
and confused, I headed for the Calverton Grasslands. Over Hulse Landing Rd.
in Wading River, a flock of ~ 50 (mostly) Horn Larks were getting their
exercise, but never landed. The grasslands were quiet, with ~ 6 Savannah
Sparrows and 1 N.Harrier (a Gray Ghost). If there was a Short-eared on the
property mid-morning, it wasn't confused !

Cheers,
Bob