Sorry - meant to add this to the thread.

NYBG has been frozen, as much of the NYC area. Our crabapples and any other
fruit/seed producing trees have been stripped bare with some strands left. If
the grosbeak over wintered at the zoo there would have been more available
food.

In the last two weeks NYBG had a weak migration of grackles, red winged
blackbirds and rusty blackbirds.

The earliest record I have of a grosbeak at NYBG is mid -April from 1998 which
was a very warm winter and early spring.

Debbie Becker