We visited Pike's Beach and Cupsogue County Park this morning, encountering an
extremely low tide and persistent west winds. Shorebird numbers were low, with
most the common species present. The  highlight was three Arctic Terns on the
flats north of the parking lot - two adults and a first summer bird with Common
Terns, one Forster's Tern, and twelve Black Skimmers.  Photos are on my flickr
site.

Last September, the Cupsogue concession building and bathrooms burnt down, and
a visit to the Park this past March did not indicate any construction activity.
Well, the County's contractors must have been working some long hours, because
there is a new deck providing access to the ocean, and three new trailers
housing the food concession, bathrooms, and lifeguard and first aid services.
While this would appear to be a temporary repair (the food trailer being
particularly small), it is heartening to know that there will be some basic
services at the park this summer.

Ken & Sue Feustel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/