After a late morning trip to Jones Beach to see the Red Phalarope, Eric
Reubel and I made a quick stop at Cammanns Pond Park in Merrick.  (Never
having read anything about it on the list serves, we'd first happened upon
it by accident late last December and were quite surprised to find 20
Black-crowned Night-Heron's there at the time).  We were equally surprised
yesterday when we saw not only four Black-crowned Night-Herons, but a
whopping 17 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons.  There were at least four juvenile
YCNH's present, as well as evidence of at least one empty nest.  We were
only able to stick around for 20 minutes or so (and kept finding more
individuals by the minute), so I would be shocked if there weren't even more
there than we found.  I'm assuming others must be well aware of the
Night-Heron rookery on the island in the middle of the pond, but it was
heretofore unknown to us and made for a nice way to end the day.

Amy Simmons

NYC, NY