Finally, there were some shorebirds on the pond today. An estimated 1100
birds, which were mostly made up of Semipalmated Sandpipers. The birds were
scattered throughout the pond and observed as I covered from South to North
and back.

As I mentioned before in previous posts, the Algal mat is so pervasive
throughout the pond, that some peeps were feeding in the middle of the pond
on patches. This also makes observation a lot more tedious as the entire
surface of the various Algal patches needs scanning. Adding to that was the
presence of 2 juvenile Peregrine Falcons complete with bands, who were
putting things up about 2 hours into my survey.

The shorebird highlights were 2 STILT SANDPIPERS, 1 juvenile Lesser
Yellowlegs, 1 juvenile Least Sandpiper and 1 juvenile Semipalmated
Sandpiper.

The complete Shorebird list includes:

American Oystercatcher
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Stilt Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher

Non-shorebirding highlights include 1 Caspian Tern flyover on the north
heading south, 1 adult Tri-colored Heron, 1 Red-breasted Merganser and 1
Pied-billed Grebe. With the exception of the Tern which was first reported
Saturday, all the other birds mentioned, have been around over the past
week or so.

Let's keep hope alive that the shorebird numbers build and we have a few
weeks of decent shorebirding.

--
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest